Do You Experience Test Anxiety?
Answer either YES or NO to each question below.
1. I have a hard time getting started studying for a test.
2. I have trouble sleeping the night before a test.
3. I expect to do poorly on a test no regardless of how much or how hard I study.
4. When taking a test, I experience physical discomfort that may include the following symptoms:sweaty palms, upset stomach, headache, difficulty breathing, tension in muscles.
5. When taking a test, I have difficulty organizing my thoughts.
6. When taking a test, I find it difficult to understand the directions and the questions.
7. During a test, I often "draw a blank."
8. When taking a test, I find my mind wandering to other things, or my thoughts racing uncontrollably.
9. I usually score lower on a test than I do on assignments and papers.
10. After a test, I remember information that I couldn't recall during the test.
11. I make mistakes on easy questions or put answers in the wrong places.
12. After a test, when I leave the room, it feels as if a heavy weight is lifting off my shoulders, or my mind feels as if it is clearing up so I can think normally once again.
[Adapted from 'Do I Have Test Anxiety' Front Range Community College, Westminster, Colorado]
KEY: If you answered YES to 4 or more questions, you may have test anxiety.
Helpful Links for Test Taking
You can skip the intro by starting at 30 seconds into the video if you wish.